1.30.2009

Multiple Personalities

The Home Layne
Layne is not terrible all the time at home. He has a fun imagination, good eating habits, does his work, loves to be read to, sleeps through the night, and is super smart and super duper observant. But he does have a slew of overwhelmingly challenging behaviors that take me to the end of my rope most everyday. Highly destructive; breaking things right and left. Bulling his brother and bossing around his friends. Obnoxious as all get out, can find just the right buttons to push. Super anal about his clothes, everything is uncomfortable his room gets showered with clothes every morning as he tries on and takes off his wardrobe. Big on the list is his explosive behavior, not only when he doesn’t get his way, but when I don’t have the answer to his question or he looses something. It is really quite a scene.

So when Layne was about to start school I went in and talked with his teacher one on one to discuss the problems we were having at home. I let her know that we have been working on these things and they do not seem to be getting better. I wanted her input on his behavior because we were contemplating the need for therapy. (This was right after he had crashed my car.) I was also worried about him doing the work he was asked to do. I couldn’t get him to practice writing, counting, sorting or even coloring. His preschool papers came home with scribbles on them or completely blank.

The School Layne
Now, I would be convinced that the teacher had confused him with someone else if I had not witnessed it for myself. When I go into his class he is so attentive, he doesn’t even notice I am there for a good amount of time. He doesn’t bother other kids, make loud noises, talk when he is not supposed to and he follows directions to a T.

The rest of his report card was doused with “P’s” for Proficient (which used to be “M” for mastery, preceded by “E” for Excellent) so basically after a semester of pre K, he is ready for first grade. Way to go Layne!

1 comment:

Candice said...

Yay for Layne! Yay for you. I think I know what the diagnosis for his problem was: he is a little boy. Now he is also an awesome little boy.