1.26.2009

A Deal’s a Deal

A Case Study

I’ve heard of these deals, mostly in larger families, the kids make deals with each to each other to take care of their chores, borrow money, clothes, toys, ect. I don’t remember doing too much of it as a kid. My brother probably knew any deal I put on the table would be no good for him. The deals have started early at the Bagley's, only they are the kind of deals that if they sound too good to be true, they probably are. Here is how the first deal went down:

Layne: Can I go see if Willy can play?
Mom: Is your room clean? (Knowing I just did laundry so there is a pile of clothes sitting on his bed.)
Layne: O yeah (Runs to his room) yells Brik come here!(They both emerge a minute later) Brik is beaming.
Layne: (excitedly) guess what Mom, if Brik helps me clean my room I’m going to give him my computer for 169-infinity-60 hours.
Mom: Boy, that sounds like a long time.
Layne: Yep, it’s forever and ever (Brik giggles as he runs after Layne back to his room) 10 minutes later…
Layne: Okay, my room is all clean. Can I see if Willy can play now?
Mom: Sure, 6 minutes. (this is how I hold him to coming straight back home and not hanging out at the neighbor’s watching T.V., eating candy and getting into trouble. If he doesn’t make it home, I go after him and he is not allowed to go see if his friends can play for a week, he has to wait at home for them to ask him which is apparently torchure to Layne. So I set the timer on my watch.)
Brik: I’m going to get Layne’s computer.
Mom: It sounds like it is your computer now, because you helped your brother. That was nice.
Layne: I’m back. (spots his brother) yells Brik! I did NOT say you could use my computer! (snatches it away from Brik, Brik crys.)
Mom: Layne, you made a deal with your brother. Brik helped you with your room because you told him he could have your computer, so now it is his.
Layne: (whining with a pouty face) But, Mom! More whines.
Mom: It is almost time for school, you get ready while Brik plays with his new computer. Maybe tomorrow you can ask Brik if he wants you to do his dishes and give your computer back.

Lots of whining, crying, hitting. Now we are on our way out the door and Layne is still not making good on his deal.

Hmmm maybe THIS is the reason Kody would never accept one of my deals. It seems the computer was very expendable when playing with his friend was on the line, but became very important to him once that option was gone. 5 year olds…very interesting.

No comments: