2.27.2009

We Just Got Crunchier

Everybody knows we are a little granola. The thing is that it is not all about the earth. Jarom insists on florescent light bulbs and no hot water except for showers that are governed by our instant hot water heater set at 96 degrees. He can also be found tearing things like paper towels, dryer sheets and wet wipes in half so that the package lasts twice as long. Jarom is also looking into solar panels as an investment. I have been trained to use our already energy efficient appliances during the off peak time for reduced energy cost. It's the money that really drives him to it.

I crunch on granola (from scratch) because it's healthier living. I thrive on organic this and organic that, natural remedies, natural cleaners, raw milk and such. Now look what I've done!

Yep, good friend Emily C. got me hooked with her cloth diapering posts. I'll warn you, she is VERY convincing. Good news is I have everything I need already from when I was trying to potty train Layne (and I was able to find it all, a feat in itself) I did purchase a few covers and snappis to make things easier. I've already gotten a pretty good poke and it will take some time to remember to change the baby every 2 hours instead of 5 (yep, always stretchin' the dollar.) I guess when your favorite color is green you're just drawn to this hippie way of life.

7 comments:

Emily Ruth said...

YAHOO!!! I love it--and I can't wait to see those covers you bought. What a great deal, and they are so adorable. You may have convinced me to make another purchase.

Emily Ruth said...

Ok. I just noticed he's smiling in this picture. What can we say? Babies just love cloth on their buns.

Candice said...

That is so awesome. I am halfway between you. I care a lot about what goes into my body, but I care even more about what goes out of my pocketbook.

Please write more about your cloth diaper experience. I am fascinated. You said that you had stuff because of potty training? I am on that road right now and would love to know what you are doing.

Also, what is raw milk? I have been reading a book about the history of milk, and have found that what we drink isn't really milk. This was just last night. Suddenly, I need an alternative, and you seem to have one.

Anyway, way to go! (and inspire the rest of us).

Bonnie said...

Kara
I have a girlfriend of mine out here that has clothed all 4 of her children. She swears by it.

fish said...

go you! i thought i saw you in your front yard givin' that tree of yours a big squeeze.

Jill Bagley said...

oh man!! good luck with that.
i have embraced the disposables. even though part of me thinks they are bad. but they make them different than they used to.they break down a lot easier.
i already deal with too much poop and pee on a daily basis!! i dont want to be cleaning it out of diapers too.
but i salute you. you are really doing a good thing.

we chirp said...

Cloth diapers get me a little nervous, I am going to have to check out Emily's blog and see what I am missing.

-mavis