2.06.2009

I Did It For You, Mom


I hate diaper changing, the bigger the kid the more disgusting. I am lucky enough to have a husband that handles every possible dirty diaper in the house while he is home, but he does work 40 hours a week and he won’t change a diaper of a kid that isn’t his own (which I find double ewww.) So the duty falls on my shoulders during times like these. We often discuss when we can pass this task onto our kids, I thought 9 was a good age.

Brik is potty trained…mostly. He wears diapers to bed. The kids are to stay in their rooms in the morning until I am up. I am a light sleeper and usually catch them if they have snuck out (and they are good at leaving clues.) So I sleep in this morning and at 7: 30 walk out and see Brik in Layne’s room putting on some pants. Layne is eager to tell me that he cleaned Brik up “I did it so that your didn’t have to…I did it for you, Mom.” I was hoping it was just a wet diaper until he said “I used 4 wipes.” He probably said this so that I would know Brik was REALLY clean because he knows his Dad has been known to tear wipes in half in order to “conserve” so 4 is a lot of wipes for one diaper change. I checked for a mess all over the house I drilled them with questions about where they were, where the diaper was, where they took it off. No mess. So as long as the diaper changee is a compliant participant the age of a capable diaper changer is 5 years, 5 months and 1 day old.

1 comment:

Emily Ruth said...

What a sweetheart. He did it for YOU.