3.29.2009

Mama Said There'd Be Days Like This

How DOES one grow black mold in a very newly built home addition in the desert? The first red flag was receiving a bid half the amount of the other two for tiling our showers. Next came the puddling on the shower floor, standing and seeping water under the wall. Then the calling and calling to get it fixed, taking out the old shower pans, buying new tile twice over to no avail. So we lived with it until we could get our third bathroom remodeled, in the mean time using towels to soak up the water on the floors and teaching the kids to push the puddles towards the drain with their feet.
Fourth time around, the showers are being redone again, there are big messes to clean up and dust everywhere. So everyday is coughing, sneezing, itchy eyes, runny noses and each evening is wiping every surface down all over again. We are all using one partially finished bathroom and the toy room and backyard are being used by the workers and all their equipment. It has been hard to function properly with the kids. The workers are on their own timetable. They tell us they will be here the next morning, not show up, not answer phone calls and show up four days later for half a day's work. Now these unreliable men say they will be finished by Wednesday, I am nervous for the guests we have coming Thursday, 8 people in one bathroom--YIKES!

I have been so busy this week, couldn't even find time to research a non-chemical way to get rid of the mold. Jarom took it upon himself and sprayed bleach on the mold, not just once but three times. The fumes gave us both headaches and who knows what other harmful effects on our health.

Speaking of health, I spent 5 hours at a gardening seminar on Friday. I have had my garden in for a month now and all my little plants were doing so well, I just put up netting to keep critters out. I love my garden. When I returned from the seminar I found my garden covered with a thick layer of cement dust. I cried. Jarom tried to blow it off with the leaf blower, but the plants were too little, they were just being uprooted. I hand washed my little babies, there is nothing to be done about the soil though. Does anyone know if cement dust will be harmful to my plants of future produce?

4 comments:

Emily Ruth said...

Oh Kara. I want to cry with you. That sounds so stressful. And company coming! Argh.
We had mold in our first house--the guy told us to spray vinegar, keep a fan and big working spotlight on it. Light and fresh air kills mold apparently- but it sounds like yours is pretty bad--you could also try tea tree oil or grapeseed extract next time.
This is all too little too late--and I am the farthest person from a green thumb. I have no good advice on gardening. Wish I could be of help!

Candice said...

That is so sad. Who would have thought that tiling could ruin everything?

And your poor garden. It takes work and dedication to grow a garden.

You would be amazed at how strong plants are, though.

Angie said...

Oh, I really gor a little teary eyed. So sad! Your poor garden. I just put in our first garden, and it is a little piece of my heart. I would cry if it were to get ruined like that! Come to Texas and I will share my vegetables with you!

Becky said...

I am so sad about the garden! I woulda cried, too! Do not give up on those veggies, though. You were meant to grow your own produce.