12.28.2009

Merry Christmas To Me

Me likes me a nice slow, quiet Christmas. No chaos, no rushing around, not a lot of show. My dad used to have this thing with opening gifts, he would draw it out as long as possible. I can appreciate that now. It is the event for the night, so we revel in it.

This year we had a dinner at our house with Errol, Elaine, Reachel, Andrew, Coco, Leisel, Sterling and our family. Simple potluck with salad, roasted vegetables, ham, baked potatoes and apple crisp. The kids did a cute story telling of The First Christmas, we sang songs and enjoyed the gifts. I thought this year was modest. Jarom and I are planning a cruise this year for my 30th birthday, so our goal was to apply for passports by Christmas and call that our gift to each other; check. Roxwell got all regifted items from storage. I gifted Layne and Brik with their own stuff they had lost months prior because of bad behavior...How did we end up with so much stuff!? I was astonished with the pile that towered beside me as we finished. It was a great time and I am grateful to feel abundance and love through my friends and family.

Layne wasn't sure what to expect from Santa. We never got out to have the kids sit on Santa's lap and ask him for anything. Everyone who asked Layne what he wanted received the answer "a trumpet." Layne also is very aware from all the songs that Santa brings toys to good boys and not bad ones...uhhh. He knew he may not qualify. My favorite was when we were delivering Christmas gifts to friends and one asked "Are you on Santa's good list or bad list?" Layne replies "I'm on his kinda good list, but my brother (pointing to Brik) is on the REALLY good list."

Brik was also asking for a trumpet and sometimes would decide he wanted a new battery for his power wheels. He was pretty sure that Santa would not be leaving any gifts for Roxwell because he wakes mom up in the morning (big no no in our house.)

Christmas Day I got up and fed Roxwell. Brik was up with me, his room faces the living room where all of Santa's loot was laid, unwrapped. He never even noticed, it all blended in with the piles he remembered from the night before and all he was thinking about was the new toys he knew and had dreamed about through the night. Once Layne was up we lead them in and checked out the new stuff. We spent the morning finding batteries, playing games and planting my indoor starter plants.

For lunch we went to Grandma and Grandpa Bagley's. The kids got to sit at the adult table since our numbers were so few. Layne asked why there were little rugs on the table (place mats). He is really funny when he is not throwing a fit. Earlier that day, he walked by Jarom as Jarom was pointing at something. Layne said "Oh, I though you were going to give me a high five. That's disappointing." We laughed and he retracted "Actually, that doesn't make any sense, since you laughed." We assured him it did make sense and I was kinda sad that he is becoming so perceptive. Soon he is going to grow out of using his childish verbage that is so endearing.

I did miss my family, but it was so nice to stay put and not be thrown around from place to place. Travel is not my thing. I like to be home, I like to be warm, I like to relax. So this year -- Merry Christmas to me.

3 comments:

Diane said...

Looks like a perfect little family christmas, cherish them, they go by so fast. . . but you family in Iowa certainly missed you a lot as we dodged snowstorms, ice and cold.
Love Mom

Summertime Designs said...

Yes, Merry Christmas to you too! Every Christmas when we are jumping around from place to place Cory and I always wonder what it would be like to just have a Christmas at home. But we know we'd miss family and it wouldn't be the same. But I'm glad you got to relax! I love that the boys were asking for trumpets...what inspired them to want those? I also love that Brik thought Roxwell wouldn't be getting anything because of the morning wake up calls. Kids are so cute! And thank you for your Christmas card. It was so creative. Our kids thought the lollipop was hilarious.

Kara said...

oh my gosh. Summer. I was so embarrassed of my flimsy card that I put together when I saw your amazing Christmas card. You are so talented..Brock's train ticket birthday invite and your SIL's wedding invitation--WOW!

I don't know where the trumpet idea came from, random.

And thanks Mom, for missing me and not trying to make me feel guilty for missing another family Christmas.