12.25.2010

Celebrating Christ

Christmas is one of my favorite times of the year.  I love the personal reflection that takes place on where we are in the light of Our Redeemer, how miraculous His birth, life and death were and the assurance that He will come again.  I do not do shopping, which mystifyingly, works out well this time of year.  I spend more time at home baking treats, which is great fun.  I think of others all year through by buying gifts when they more or less fall in my lap, and we never over do it in the spending category.


This year, Jarom worked most of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.  We got together with his family for dinner each night.  On Christmas Eve, Becky put out a tasty dinner and immaculately decorated dining and family room.  Grandma brought costumes for the Grandkids to play parts in the Nativity scene.  Layne enjoyed giving everyone a sniff of the expensive perfume, frankincense and playing the part of Joseph, Brik the wiseman who gave the gift of frankincense and Roxwell, the older Christ babe to whom was given the gifts.  The Bagley's do a very loose reenactment where the kids take their own artistic liberties.  It is always nice to reiterate the roots of the holidays in this humble production.


Christmas Morning, the kids waited for me to arise from my edgy slumber (why on earth am I so jittery about the gifts when I know what every one of them are?)  Jarom had a few minutes to spend with us as we found our presents from Santa, unloaded stockings and unwrapped what was under the tree.  It was a little face paced for our standard.  I grew up where opening presents was THE activity of the day and it was to last as long as possible.


Layne has asked Santa for a ridiculous item each year and has never been disappointed, despite the fact that he has never gotten what he has asked for. He taped a note and a movie to the front door asking Santa to watch it and return it by tomorrow.  He also reminded Santa that he wanted " A uledric scodr."  He ended up being quite impressed with his Air Hog, though declaring it is not quite as good as a motor scooter.

Brik asked for a robot, which was off the wall.  He got one, however.  9 inch, rolls around on the floor with poseable arms.  Both of them have already run out of batteries, which is a sign of rotten toys.


The afternoon was full of playing.  Nana's trucks were a hit, and those silly little Bakugans.  I played Connect 4 with the boys and put together a floor puzzle with Brik.  It was nice to just focus on playing and let the rest go for the day.  I used to miss my family terribly at Christmas time because the in-laws didn't do it quite right.  Now that we have the kids, I love staying put, enjoying the comforts of home and the Arizona weather.

No comments: