11.28.2010

Happy Darn


Thanksgiving was extra special this year because I got to do all the cooking and we had wonderful dinner guests.  My sister Kate, who is my favorite person in the world.  I think she likes me too as I am one of the only people on her facebook over 30 without a limited profile (I did have to fight for it though.)  My dad, who is super funny, outgoing and laid back, was the life to our party.  Kate's friends Michelle and Abby made the trip from Iowa too and they were lovely visitors.

Our Menu
Free Range, Brined and Oven Roasted Turkey
Mashed Potatoes and Turkey Gravy
Orange-Vanilla Bean Cranberry Sauce
Multi-grain Yogurt Loaf
Sizzled Green Beans with Prosciutto and Pine Nuts
Sparkling Grape Juice
Cranberry Walnut Tart
Pumpkin Pie


Instead of after dinner TV time, it was after dinner computer time.  Oh, how things have changed.


Once the food settled, we headed out for our traditional Thanksgiving hike. We have really only done it one other year, but I really think it will make for a great tradition.


Black Friday was just as pleasant as we enjoyed a horse trail through the mountains by Saguaro Lake.


Afterwards, Dad taught Brik how to ride his bike sans training wheels, as is tradition, set a couple years back with Layne.

Each night we played games, mostly The Great Dalmuti.  It was hours full of jokes, texts and laughs.  My dad has quite a few phrases that have become part of his everyday vocabulary.  Many of them are not the kind that you'd want your kids to repeat.  Layne was walking around the house saying "happy darn, happy darn."  We asked him what it meant and where he got it from.  "Papa always says it."  It took us a while to realize that the phrase "I'll be darned, " which Dad says in his Iowan way " All be darn, " was translated by a 7 year old as "happy darn."  It was a darn happy weekend, so we just went with it.

5 comments:

Kathryn said...

Love it all Kara! Glad you had a great time! :)

Candice said...

All be darned if that isn't the most delicious Thanksgiving ever! Super cute story.

Cardigan Empire said...

I want to see pictures of all of the food. I'm sure it was beautiful and delicious!

Kara said...

Next November on Taste is Trump.

Becky said...

Well, Happy Darn--I love this post! So glad to hear you had such a lovely holiday. I felt the same way about hosting my out of town guests. It just makes me smile to have them around. Can't wait to see the food on Taste is Trump!